The Latest: Cases rise again
Depending on where you live, cases of Covid-19 may be rapidly increasing. There are 21 states experiencing a rise in cases, and Florida, Arizona, and Texas have reported record numbers this week.
It’s a good idea to consider getting tested if you’ve been exposed to large groups of people or someone who might be sick. Experts in New York say every person should get tested. In Minnesota, health officials say anyone who has been to a protest, vigil, or supply drive should get tested. See what the recommendations are where you live.
And sure, the photos of the nasal swab look intimidating, but trust me — I got one — it’s really not bad and lasts only a couple of seconds. Plus, the tests are free.
- Drug shows promise for Covid-19 survival: Researchers in England say that a widely available steroid called dexamethasone reduced deaths by up to one-third in people hospitalized with Covid-19. But the findings have yet to be published. Read more.
- Prison deaths have risen 73%: The number of inmates known to be infected with Covid-19 has doubled during the past month to more than 65,000, the New York Times reports. Prison deaths linked to the virus have risen by 73% since mid-May, totaling over 600 deaths.
- Over 45,000 Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. can be traced to long-term care facilities: That’s about 40% of the more than 115,000 total deaths from the virus, the Associated Press reports, even though nursing home residents are less than 1% of the U.S. population.
- FDA revoked its emergency use authorization for chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine as a coronavirus treatment: The agency says they are unlikely to work. Read more.
- Officials warn that lockdowns may be needed once again: Political leaders in New York and Texas warned over the weekend that lockdowns may be necessary if businesses and people do not follow the safety measures in reopening rules.
Follow our Medium Coronavirus Blog for regular updates, and read some of the essential stories we’ve curated below.
Editor, Medium Coronavirus Blog
Was this email forwarded to you by a friend? Sign up to receive regular updates from our Coronavirus Team in your inbox.
Sign up here. 📩
By the numbers
The coronavirus has killed more Americans than any flu season since 1918.
New on the blog
The Remarkable Case of the Missouri Hair Salon
Is Contact Tracing Hopeless in the United States?
Why Are Scientists Still Studying Hydroxychloroquine?
What Public Health Experts Mean When We Say It’s Okay to Protest
Read This Before You Stay in a Hotel
The Covid-19 Virus Can Persist for Months: Why?
What You Should Know About Covid-19 Delirium
Toilet Flushing Could Spread the Coronavirus via Poop Droplets
Brazil Is Becoming the New Epicenter of the Pandemic
Keeping Your Job and Your Sanity in the Time of Covid-19
Inevitable Surge in Covid-19 Deaths Looms
Most Coronavirus Tests Cost About $100. Why Did One Cost $2,315? (New York Times)
The First Covid Vaccines May Not Prevent Covid Infection (Bloomberg)
Give Black Scientists a Place in This Fight (The Atlantic)